Sunday, January 08, 2006

Only one more day...

We started yesterday getting a lot of fixes into the show both technically and acting wise. The show's so damn complicated and everyone's making it look very easy. We did a lot of good work on some specific scenes that needed help. The actors are really starting to feel more comfortable in the setting and costumes, which is challenging because everything’s so stylized. We also did 45-minutes of music clean up, which helped a lot. Now that things are getting set, actors are connecting the movement with the words and it helps in their security. We had lunch brought in for the company since it takes so long to get into make-up and costume for the show. They’ll get faster as time goes along. It was our first run thru with the orchestra and we didn’t even stop. We had a few bumps along the way so re-ran some of the material with the orchestra afterwards. I was really pleased with our progress and Dan took a huge leap. There were lots of exciting things happening on stage. It's great seeing all the notes getting incorporated. Tonight at 7:00 we have our final dress. It's the day I hate the most. It's the first time anyone from the outside is getting to see "our baby." I always get really nervous on this night — I feel totally naked and exposed. I’m always glad when the last note of the show is played and it’s over. It's that nervousness of how people will react — you constantly ask yourself, what if they don’t get it? What if they don’t feel it? What if it’s not clear? You just start asking so many questions, but now is where it begins for you to hold true to your vision and storytelling. It's so easy to panic, make drastic cuts and changes at the last minute, but I like to “feel” the audience and their reactions. That’s what I learn from and then act accordingly. And I really don’t ask people what they thought — as I said, I feel it and that tells you more. I’m off to meet with Grace on a few more book nips and tucks.

—ES

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home