Monday, January 16, 2006

That's It

Saturday afternoon we had Flo back behind the piano learning some new music to which she proclaimed, “Oh, I didn’t bring my tape recorder. I thought we were done learning music. Hope I can learn this to put in tonight!" Well we spent two hours getting this one moment right that I felt was so important. All the troops came in from the designers to stage managers and crew, and we did get it right. During the show when we got to that moment I actually had chills and Grace, who didn’t see rehearsals, turned to me and said, “I just teared up.” So we definitely made the moment the best it could be. You always want those moments to happen sooner rather than cutting it down to the wire, but also, those moments sometimes need to be reworked at the last minute as you see more clearly what the piece has become. The cast is really finding its groove, which is not an easy thing to do. When I came out into our lobby afterwards on Saturday night there were probably about 50-60 people just hanging out and talking. I think that's what theater is all about — striking up conversations and opinions that force people to talk. Matt and I got out Poe's poems that are used in Nevermore and wrote them all over the pillars in the lobby. People stand and read them after hearing his remarkable words on the stage. Everyone seems to be rediscovering...

Yesterday marked our first two show day and it went off without a hitch. Everyone held up well for both shows, which is very demanding. The audience response has been very encouraging and last night Matt Conner's parents saw the show. They were just beaming afterwards and you could tell they were so proud. Everyone called it an early night so we can get ready for the official opening tonight. Everyone is ready for a great party and they deserve it!

—ES

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home