COUNTING DOWN... WORD
While driving home last night from the Theatre, after a meeting with a west coast producer, I became very reflective on what we have done here at Signature — not only in the past year but in the past two months. A patron approached me in the lobby and said "What you have running here in both of these theaters is risky, challenging, and unbelievable. No one else is town would do it, and the Theatre is not getting the accolades it deserves." He remarked on his anger toward one critic for not being fair in the reviews. I thanked the patron for the kind words, processed the comments, and I agreed with him — in silence.
I think many theaters in DC, like Signature, are not getting credit in local coverage for the bold, risk-taking work that is being presented. I would love to put all the local critics through a boot camp so they would actually have a real understanding of what we do and just how hard it is.
And honestly, there is a state of emergency for new exciting work in this town. As everyone plans their upcoming season, I know from experience that I need to search out that hit Broadway or Off-Broadway play so that I am all but guaranteed 'good ink,' as they say.
It frustrates me as I look at the two pieces that we have running right now in our theaters — THE WORD BEGINS and THE STUDIO. And while I am not going to say each one is perfect — any art rarely is — they break new ground and give audiences an experience that is brand new. They are bold, smart, thought-provoking pieces of theater. However, they haven't been always treated as such in the media outlets.
Instead of than listening to critics’ evaluations, audiences are starting to listen to their friends’ kudos and raves. And that’s helping to sell tickets. I am so thankful people don’t always believe what they read, rather what they experience. Audiences, here and at other innovative local theaters, are coming away with a deeper appreciation for the creation of theater and the truly bold risks being taken.
I'm not joking when I say I think we're in a state of emergency for
Maybe again seeing THE WORD BEGINS — which implores us to take back... to imagine... to change — got me thinking and doing exactly what this show was meant to do. It's up to all of us to change or we're going to see everyone producing tired standards like ARSENIC AND OLD LACE next season. Do you really want to see that on Signature’s inventive, daring stages?
Come witness the final week of THE WORD BEGINS. And let the show move you to change — the way you see theater, the way you treat others, the way you see yourself. As the writers and performers of THE WORD BEGINS say, “Listen. Stand. Spit. Begin.”
BEGIN.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home