AND THE WORD BEGINS...
This week has been thrilling for Signature. THE WORD BEGINS opened on Monday and it has been changing people's thoughts and actions. How great to see, performance after performance, audiences leap to their feet — raving, applauding, and cheering the success of two of the most hard-working poet-actors, Steve Connell and Sekou (tha misfit).
The show has gotten some terrific reviews: “Five stars” (MetroWeekly) to "It will change your life." (Majic 102.3) You can’t miss it!
Last evening, I waited for the audience after the show in the lobby. I wanted to gauge reactions. Patron after patron came up to thank me for the wonderfully moving theater experience. One patron said to me, "now we all must do something to make change begin." Young and old alike are being moved by the show and that's what the real theater is about.
Sometimes I honestly get a bit discouraged when the press doesn't get 'it.'
THE WORD BEGINS is a show that breaks new ground, is daring and brave, challenging. There is nothing more exciting than that in the theater. Without constructive criticism on new shows, criticism that recognizes and supports the risks taken, theaters may begin looking at what old, safe plays to revive in order to just stay afloat. That doesn't serve anyone in making this an exciting theater town. I think people are too harsh with new works. There have been some terrific new shows and ideas that have been explored on our DC stages this fall. Any other major American city — Chicago or LA — would be thrilled with and be supportive of these endeavors. We just need to get folks to open their eyes and write about the great experiences and experiments happening in our own backyards. Or I fear we will see lots of productions of ARSENIC AND OLD LACE popping up! I don't think anyone wants that.
How is Signature making this change? What are we doing now? Another new play!
THE STUDIO went into rehearsals this week and it’s been truly exciting. We're working and shaping the show daily. Matt Gardiner, our resident assistant director is going to be writing about the rehearsal process. Our audiences loved the first rehearsal —once again, it's not your typical play! So watch for Matt's daily updates. And check out his production of TICK, TICK, BOOM at MetroStage opening this weekend featuring our own Stephen Gregory Smith. It’s Matt’s professional directing debut. I've heard great things about it already so check it out! You’ll see me there next week.
And see you at THE WORD BEGINS or the closing weekend of MERRILY.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home