Monday, April 16, 2007

WORKING ON A NEW PLAY

I have been wanting to blog about NEST since we started rehearsal. But there’s nothing like working on a new play (except maybe working on a new musical.) The thrill of it is only matched by the exhaustion of it. But the joy of the work far outweighs anything else. And there is really nothing like working on a great new play. It doesn’t happen all that often.

NEST is a great play. The minute I read it, I knew I needed to direct it. I fell in love with the characters. They are all so terribly human and beautifully flawed. And as a writer, Bash (Bathsheba Doran) so clearly loves them. She doesn’t make excuses for any of them. That’s brave and that’s rare. NEST is a provocative play. It asks questions. It challenges. I also think it’s hysterically funny and heartbreakingly truthful. I can’t wait for audiences to see it.

-Joe Calarco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home