Monday, April 16, 2007

COMPOSING A NEW PLAY

NEST is a new play. That means rewrites. Bash isn’t afraid to rip her play apart and put it back together again. I love that! She knows what she has written and she’s always trying to clarify, clarify, clarify.

We’ve been working on part two of the play. It’s like a composition to me—thirty pages of beautiful music. I don’t think I’ve ever so fully restaged a sequence so many times. But each time Bash rewrites and I restage I feel like I understand the play even more. It’s like doing a musical. I would never be able to really understand the sequence if we did not fully stage it. And I so appreciate the cast’s patience with me. I can only do so much on paper. I need to see the actors’ bodies in space.

-Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home